Friday, October 5, 2018

Excerpt From New Series: Zero

For those interested, I'm still grinding on Kid Sensation #6.  In the meantime, in keeping with a request for excerpts from other series that I have in the works, here's a short one from a "zombie apocalypse" story I've been working on (working title: Zero).  As always, the usual caveats apply (mainly that this hasn't been proofed):

_________________________________________________________________________


The men looked hard and dangerous, like they’d been in enough scrapes to know how to handle themselves. Zero knew the look and the type. He was on treacherous ground here. (It also didn’t help that he had just narrowly escaped being lunch for a troop of zombs. He was exhausted by the ordeal, and it showed.)
“That’s far enough,” Zero said, rifle at the ready. “Grab your gear, turn around and go. You’re not welcome here.”
Two of the men looked at the third (obviously the leader), who seemed to be sizing up the situation. Zero knew what the man was thinking, as clearly as if he could read his mind: there was only one of him – visibly beat and weary – and three of them.
“Just hold on” the leader said. “We’re not looking for trouble. We just thought there might be something we could use around this place.”
“There’s nothing for you here,  Zero replied.  Move on.”
“We’re not looking for a handout,” the man said, holding his hands up in a non-threatening gesture. “We’d be interested in trading.” The man kept talking – saying something about taking some things out of his bag – but Zero had essentially tuned him out, wasn’t listening any more. Instead, he was watching the men, their hands, their feet.
As the leader talked, thinking he had Zero’s attention, the other two slowly, craftily tried to step away and fan out. One of them, the younger one, seemed more surefooted, shifty. Obviously sensing an opportunity, his right hand lazily drifted towards the gun at his waist. 
     Zero shot him in the eye. The man’s head exploded like a watermelon stuffed with dynamite.
The leader stopped speaking, struck dumb as gore splattered him and his friend’s nigh-headless body slid to the ground.
“What the hell!” shrieked the fat one. “You just killed him! Didn’t even fire a warning shot!
Zero almost laughed. Warning shots were like dodo birds – extinct (along with the people who used them). The current philosophy was that it a person merited a warning shot, then you probably needed to plant a slug in them. Why waste a bullet?


25 comments:

  1. Looks interesting. I do love a good zombie book. I especilly liked Peter Clines take that also had super heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Vaporus? I was thinking the same thing. The world needs more zombie superhero books. Really like this scene and Zero seems like a badass.

    Wonder if they are superheroes in this story. That would be amazing, if not doesn't matter who doesn't like a good zombie book. Keep them coming Author Prime

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I know your working hard and you get bugged about this enough but do you think you'll be done by the end of October?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, I CAN be done by the end of the month. Whether that will actually happen depends on a lot of factors. But it is doable.

      Delete
    2. Well then I hope things work out for you I'm sure your more than ready to see this book finished and I can't wait to read it.

      Delete
  4. so when is the Kid Sensation book coming out...
    Are you almost finished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost done. I figure I need another 2 weeks, max, although I'll shoot for getting in done in one.

      Delete
    2. OHHH I'm excited. Gonna be done my re-read too

      Delete
    3. Excited to finally hear the next book is so close can't wait to read what happens next will Electra and jim break up can kid teleport across the galaxy what new powers will he unlock next very excited.

      Delete
    4. Just to clarify, are you almost finished writing the book/it still needs editing, or is it 1-2 weeks from going up on Amazon?

      Delete
    5. Correct - it will still need editing, etc.

      Delete
    6. So a month or so after 2 weeks before it releases?

      Delete
    7. Here's my hope: finish it in the next week and get it to my editor. While she's doing her thing, I get with my cover guy and have him do his usual. Hopefully my editor can get it back to me within a few weeks, at which junture I'll hand it off to my formatting guy. Based on past experience, he'll take care of business in a couple of days, at which point I will release.

      Ambitiously, we would be talking about a late November release.

      Delete
  5. I'm curious if ur gonna be doing more warden books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I've actually started the next Warden book, and you can find an excerpt here: https://kevinhardman.blogspot.com/2017/08/excerpt-from-warden-book-4.html

      Delete
  6. Update on ks? Is it with your editor etc. Keep up the good work really been looking forward to it since Coronation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a post up above this one well probably see 's within the last two weeks of the month by the sound of it.

      Delete
  7. Is there any chance kid sensation will be out soon I've been looking forward to this book for going on a year now by the way thank you for the series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine he's getting close he did say a late November release.

      Delete
    2. I had a setback, which I just posted about. But I'm trying to finish this week.

      Delete
  8. I'm not going to rush you after all good things come to those who wait.dont work to hard and have a good thanks giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Assuming nothing goes wrong, I should finish this week.

      Delete
  9. Hope your doing well and had a good thanksgiving I know this is pushy but I gotta ask how's the new kid sensation book coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't consider it being pushy, because I had expected to be done ages ago. That said, I just posted about a recent stumbling block, but I should be back on track now.

      Delete

Total Pageviews