Sunday, September 23, 2018

Patreon and Thoughts on Leaving the Day Job

Someone recently asked in one of the blog comments what it would take for me to leave the day job.  In another comment, someone suggested that I look into Patreon, noting that some authors on the site are earning $5K per month.

First of all, it's incredibly flattering that someone who's not me thinks enough of my writing that they'd want me to do it full-time. I honestly can't imagine much higher praise than that. In addition, it's pretty much a given that whenever I do leave the day job, "Full-Time Writer" is going to be the next thing added to my résumé.  That said, I'm not sure if something like Patreon would work for me, but first it might be worthwhile to talk a little about the site.

In ye olden days, many notable artists had patrons - wealthy individuals whose support allowed said artists to work on their craft rather than toil at manual labor.  Everyone from Shakespeare to Leonardo da Vinci to Michaelangelo had patrons, and it was that patronage that allowed for the creation of some of the greatest masterpieces of art and literature.  Patreon continues that tradition by allowing everyday folks to become patrons and support the artist(s) of their choice via monthly contributions, which can be as low as $1.  That's it in a nutshell, but makes me think there are probably two basic questions that potential patrons are likely to drill down on when deciding who to support:

1)   What's the ask in terms of dollars (and is it reasonable)?
2)   Is this particular artist worth it?

There may be other questions that arise as well, but I tend to think those are the big ones that would apply to my own situation, as detailed below.


What's the ask (and is it reasonable)?

As noted above, I'm not sure that Patreon would work for me.  For starters, I would have to ask for an amount that is several multiples of the $5K mentioned in the blog comment. Frankly speaking, I earn pretty good scratch from the day job (although - like most employees - I still consider myself underpaid).  More to the point, I actually love what I do.  The problem is that the job has become incredibly demanding lately in terms of time, leaving me less opportunities to write.  Case in point, my boss calls me about 8 o'clock at night a few weeks back - a time when most people are at home relaxing after a hard day's work, but here's my scenario:

*Ring*
Me:  Hello?
Boss: Where are you?
Me: At the office.
Boss: Is so-and-so with you?
Me: We're all here.
Boss: Are you working on thus-and-so?
Me:  Yes - what do you want?
Boss:  Tell so-and-so to call me.  I need to talk to them about something.
Me: Will do.
*Click*


Now, in all honesty I have to say that my boss is a pretty good guy and I like him, and this is not what work has been like for the bulk of my tenure. It does, however, provide some insight into just how busy I've been of late.  Unfortunately, work shows very little sign of letting up in that regard, so I'm way off the pace in terms of my writing productivity (e.g., I should have finished the next Kid Sensation book months ago). If I were to try to reclaim that time by leaving the day job, I'd naturally have to replace my current income. Needless to say, it would be a significant ask - it looks almost obscene when I put it on paper - and supporters on a site like Patreon might turned off by that.  

I mean, let's face it:  I'm not a starving artist.  I'm not not working three jobs for minimum wage and trying to squeeze in writing on the side.  I'm not sneaking in and out of my own apartment through a window in an effort to dodge my landlord.  I'm not parking my car in my neighbor's garage to avoid having it repossessed. I don't have a pantry full of Ramen Noodles that I'm eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

But that's not say I haven't been there.  There was a time when I was broke and hungry, and spent my last dollar on a loaf of bread - not because it made for a great meal, but simply because it was filling and would keep my stomach from growling like a grizzly someone had just poked with a sharp stick.  And when that loaf was gone, I tore apart the place where I was living looking for something to eat, and the only thing I found was a pack of coffee grounds.  And guess what?  I ate 'em...  So yeah, I've been there.

It goes without saying, however, that I'm long way from those days. And given my rumeneration from the day job, I can't shake the feeling that potential patrons would look askance at any request from me for support, although obviously my situation is a little different.  Basically, I can't say something like, "When I get $1500 per month I'll quit the 3rd job and write a short story per month, and when I reach $3000 per month I'll quit the second job and write even more..."  I've only got the one day job (although these days I'm seemingly putting in enough hours for two), so that's the number I've got to match.  So, in a certain sense, it's go big or go home.  

In short, bearing all the facts in mind, I think my ask could be construed as reasonable.


Is this particular artist worth it?

I like to think my work is good, but I'm not a media darling by any stretch.  The NY Times isn't screaming for the public to buy my next book.  I haven't been nominated for a bunch of Hugos, Nebulas and similar awards that apply to scifi/fantasy books like mine.  I don't have a mob of publishers beating down my door trying to sign me to a book deal.  (Okay, I have been approached before, but that's a different story.)  

Thankfully, none of those things are a big deal to me.  What's really important is that readers like my work, and I feel incredibly blessed by the fact that they seem to, as expressed in both reviews and sales.  Thus, going on the theory that a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll simply highlight those areas with the following, which relate to Coronation - the last book published in my Kid Sensation series:



(Ranked #2 between A.G. Riddle and Stephen King - it doesn't get much better than this.)



(Okay, I admit it:  I love the little "Best Seller" ribbon Amazon puts on these.)




(I also managed to sell 10,000 audiobooks in a little over two years)




And, while it isn't exactly a picture, here was Coronation's best ranking:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #256 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)


And my corresponding author ranking:

Amazon Author Rankbeta 

And going back a little farther in time, here's when I first broke into a Top 100 authors category, coming in at #98 - just ahead of Ernest Cline and no-name Patterson guy.





Unfortunately, if you look today, my rankings are no longer what they were.  That, of course, is a function of not having released a new book in a while due to time constraints (which is basically the problem).  Nevertheless, in all modesty and reflecting on the above, I believe I can continue to be commercially successful as an author.  And, as I've noted many times, I actually write pretty fast.  (My hope is produce a novel every two months whenever I decide to pursue writing full-time.)


In retrospect, I like to think there are some patrons out there who would consider me worth supporting.  Still the ask is huge, and I detest the optics when I see the number on paper.  But it is what it is.  (And the idea of writing full-time has enormous appeal, so maybe Patreon is an option I should pursue regardless.)  Who knows?  I'll noodle on it some more, talk to the wife - pray about it - and see what happens. 



10 comments:

  1. I think is great when a fan base cares so much about their author. I'm happy to be part of it. My thoughts on this is that you should do what feels right.

    Personally I don't mind the long wait. Not that it has been too long since the last Hardman book. I like all the worlds you've created with KS Fringes and that teaser of the last post at the very top. So I'll wait and enjoy. We're with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate the support and your patience. Getting the current book done has taken far longer than I anticipated, but the goal is ultimately to try to regain my early form - back when I cranked out 6 books in a 9-month period. Again, I've got the stories worked out in my head; it's a matter of finding the time to write them down.

      Delete
    2. Patience has its own kind of reward. Once the book is done and published. People will flock to it because that teaser at the end of Electra's book was too good. Jim has a lot of explaining to do and not everyone will be happy about it.

      Delete
    3. LOL! I'm keeping my fingers crossed about people flocking to the book, but again, I think it will be well worth the wait.

      Delete
  2. 1) What kind of work is the day job?
    2) What kind of $$ are we looking at per month?
    I'll take a new book whenever I can but I'm finding it harder and harder to find new authors I like so I consider it a jackpot when I find a fast writer.
    The friend that wrote a book with good story but poor editing... what book is it I'm way more interested in a good story than editing.

    I would always prefer a better story than something rushed out so take all the time you need to ensure quality but dam i sure look forward to your next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do high-level corporate stuff at the day job (at least that's how somebody described it). As to the $$$ we're looking at, if you're talking about utilizing a site like Patreon the number is about $20K per month. (As I said, it's a big ask.) So basically, we're talking about 2000 patrons giving an average of $10/month. Or 4000 giving $5/month. Or...well, you get the math.

      I'm definitely a fast writer, but as I keep saying it boils down to available time these days. As to the friend who wrote the terrible book, I couldn't give them up. It's one thing to say, "I have a friend who wrote a crappy book." It's something else to say, "My friend Joe Schmoe wrote a crappy book, and here's where you can find it..."

      Anyway, I'll keep grinding and try to get the book done asap.

      Delete
  3. I guess that makes sense. Patreon may not be the best option for you for what you need. Hope to see your next book soon. Gonna start my reread of the series soon. Hopefully by the time I'm done next book will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowing how fast you write and that you basically have all the stories in your head already, the fact that your day job is, and has been, all encompassing for several months, with no sign of letting off is worrying. Maybe you should find a job somewhere else☺☺.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I've already found the other job. It's writing...

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews