Monday, June 3, 2013

The Little Novel That Could

In a number of my previous posts, I have mentioned the early success that I have been blessed to have with my superhero novel Sensation, which is currently #1 in a couple of categories.  What's been lost in the shuffle, however, is the fact that my other book, Warden, is also performing respectably.  In fact, I looked up earlier today and found that it was listed in the Top 100 in one of its categories:


96.
Warden (Book 1: Wendigo Fever)
Kindle Edition
$2.99






























Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #35,913 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)


Frankly speaking, it caught me a little by surprise.  Like any other author, I had been watching the sales that were occurring with both of my books.  However, I was a bad parent, paying more attention to the child who showed all the textbook indicators of being a phenom rather than recognizing that both of my literary children were special.  Thankfully, Warden took no notice of my neglect, and has just kept chugging right along like The Little Engine That Could.

Needless to say, I'm thankful that both books are finding an audience.  If I'm being honest, however, I have to admit that - if I'd had to choose between them - I would have thought Warden more likely to become a runaway hit.  With its inclusion of mythical creatures, monsters and other things-that-go-bump-in-the-night, it seemed to be a bit more mainstream. (For the record, calling paranormal and horror novels "mainstream" still seems like an oxymoron to me, because when I was growing up I don't recall the genre being embraced the way it is today.)  Although I've decided to incorporate less-common creatures in my Warden series (such as the Wendigo, which - accordingly to legend - is virtually unstoppable), I was still concerned that readers might find the idea of a superhero novel like Sensation to be passé in comparison.  In fact, between the two, my twelve-year-old actually liked Warden better. (And let me say here that, while these two books will certainly appeal to the young adult/teen demographic, they are meant to be enjoyed by readers of all ages.)

As they say, however, truth is stranger than fiction, and I couldn't be more pleased that Sensation has been so warmly received by readers and that Warden is getting its sea legs as well. I'm praying that the same audience that is embracing the former will find room on their shelves for the latter.


 Update
When I check a short time ago, Warden had moved up to #66 in its category.  As always, I feel blessed to have this success, and I thank everyone for their support.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews